How to study for a four-year Degree in Canada
How to study for a four-year degree in Canada will be our focus in this post. Four-year degree programs in Canada are meant for undergraduate, medical, or doctoral degree programs. However, the undergraduate and Ph.D. programs range from three to 5 years. Though, it depends on the course and the district where the Canadian University is situated.
ALSO READ: WHAT IS SCHOLARSHIP
For medical applications, you need to have a bachelor’s degree before you can study for a 4 year MD degree. The Ph.D. applicants should have a master’s or bachelor’s degree as a significant requirement for them to study their desired course in Canada.
The Canadian Universities to Study Four-year Degree Program
Your dream to study in Canada is the best to start by thinking about the choice of an academic institution. Well, will actually depend on several factors such as the course of study, category of the degree program, and University location. Though, many Universities in Canada offer scholarships after admitting students into a four-year degree program.
The list below is some of the most popular Universities in Canada. And you can always choose from these if you’re looking forward to studying in Canada.
- The University of Toronto
- The University of Manitoba
- University of Waterloo
- McMaster University
- The University of Calgary
- University of Alberta
- McGill University
- The University of British Columbia
- University of Montreal
- The University of Winnipeg
The General Requirements for a four-year Degree Program in Canada
As an Undergraduate, medical, or Ph.D. student you need to gain admission into a Canadian University before you will be allowed to study your choice course.
READ ALSO: HOW TO GET FULLY FUNDED SCHOLARSHIPS ABROAD
Every applicant is usually to submit the following requirements as they apply for a four-year degree in Canadian Universities.
- A copy of a high school or secondary school transcript/certificate (undergraduate applicants)
- A copy of a master’s or bachelor’s degree certificate from any an accredited university for the Postgraduate applicants.
- Provide proof of funds or finance and it should be in the form of bank statements
- Evidence of English proficiency scores or certificate
- Provision of official transcripts from the past universities
- A resume or your recent CV
- Get a recommendation letter from a referee to the school.
- An SAT or ACT scores mostly for the Undergraduate applicants
- Present the completed application form
- Submit the statement of purpose or personal statement.
- Submit the MCAT cores for medical school applicants.
Study Permit or Canada Student Visa-How to study for a four-year Degree in Canada
When you get your acceptance letter from a Canadian University, the next thing to do is apply for a study permit. Then, you also apply for a student visa. The visa is temporary or electronic travel authorization. A Study permit is that legal document that allows the student to study and also live in Canada for a specified period. However, the student visa or electronic travel authorization is that legal permit that permits the student to enter Canada.
Moreover, the electronic travel authorization is always connected to the person’s passport. And the validity is five years. You’ll need both documents to study in Canada.
How you can get a Student Visa and Study Permit-How to study for a four-year Degree in Canada
- You must, first of all, get admitted to a Canadian University and accept the admission offer. You’ll get the admission letter by mail to you. With it, you can start your study permit and student visa application.
- Verify your eligibility to apply for a Study permit- the following persons are eligible to apply for a study permit
- Persons enrolling in a course with a duration of 6 months or even less
- Members of foreign armed forces from a county that is seen as a visiting forces act.
- A family member or private staff member of a diplomatic agent, a consular officer, a representative, an official of a country other than Canada, of the United Nation, or any of their agencies. However, international organizations of which Canada is a member don’t need a study permit.
- Also, include Indians that are registered in Canada.
- You can find more details on eligibility to apply for a study permit on the official website of the government of Canada.
3. You must prepare documents needed for the study permit application- Every document that’s required for a study permit application is to be completed the lists are:
- Original letter of your acceptance from the particular learning institution or university
- Your valid travel document or international passport
- The letter of intent
- Get recent passport-size photographs. And You’ll write your name and date of birth as indicated on the back
- Your bank statement shows proof of sufficient financial support to study in Canada. However, the amount will always cover your tuition fees and all your living expenses for a year.
- A proof of your English proficiency test such as IELTS, TOEFL,iBT, Duolingo, PTE Academic, C1 advanced if a student is from a non-English speaking country. You’ll need a certificate d’acceptation du Quebec, in English and French translation. Also, provide a copy of the original document and a statement from the translator. You must submit all these documents if you want to study in Quebec.
- Students will provide a medical certificate to show their good state of health.
- Provision of a police certification showing or proving that the student isn’t a criminal.
- Show proof of study permit fee of 150CAD
- Provide a filled student permit application form.
4. Apply for the Canadian study permit- You’ll have to apply for the study permit before you enter Canada. Students can apply for the study permit using Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s website. You’ll send the documents above to the Canadian embassy in the applicant’s country.
5 . Book a Biometrics Appointment an interview at the visa application center or embassy. Make sure you do this before the deadline on the biometric instruction letter. Therefore, at this point, the student is to provide their biometric data like fingerprints and signatures. Though, the student will pay a biometric fee of 85 CAD. After this, the next thing is the interview.
The Processing Duration for a Canadian Study permit
When you’re through with the study permit application, which will take about 90 days. It’s good you submit all the important documents so that they won’t be rejected or delayed.
But the processing time can be faster about 20 days with the direct stream costing 150 CAD. This process is available to applicants from Senegal, China, Vietnam, Morocco, India, Pakistan, and the Philippines.
However, after the student’s application is approved, they will receive a letter of introduction. The letter states that the student is permitted to enter Canada. It’s this letter that will be shown at the Canadian border services. And the electronic travel authorization will be linked to the student’s passport. The passport is valid until the passport expires after five years.
Working and studying for a 4-year degree in Canada
Every student with a valid study permit can also work in Canada for 20 hours per week. This they will do during the academic semester and full-time during school breaks and holidays. Also, students can work on campus or off campus and also earn money. Some of the part-time student’s jobs are:
- Teacher’s assistant
- Freelance writer
- Sales representative
- Freelance graphic designer/UX designer
- Customer service assistant.
Some of the 4-year degree undergraduate programs come with a career-related cooperative job. And In the summer, students can choose to work as interns at four consecutive places.